How to prevent tooth decay in children
The high quantities of sugar in food or drinks today and the build up of germs tooth surfaces causes tooth decay. Germs that live in the PLAQUE are just waiting to eat the sugary foods that you eat. Acids made by germs get into the tooth enamel and cause tooth decay.
The three steps to tooth decay
Typiclly the process of tooth decay in children can be divided into three main stages:
Stage 1: The acid dissolved the enamel making a small hole. This stage of tooth decay is not really painful and majority of patients do not ever report about this pain
Stage 2: The decay reaches the dentine and travels much faster due to the hole made in first stage. Once the decay start travelling within the tooth, the patient may start to feel toothache and start to complain about pain.
Stage 3: This is the advance level and last stage of decay and very painful, at this point the decay has reached to the pulp or you can say “gum” where nerves and blood vessels are, and left unattended causes abscess.
A queensland dentist for emergency dental in brisbane CBD said the Australian institute of Health and Welfare conduct and child dental Health survey, according to the statics about 50% Australian children has history of dental decay. According to research the some of the main causes of the dental decay in children are not only sugary products but there are number of other causes too which can easily cause dental decay:
- Poor dental hygiene: The majority of parents ignore to wash baby teeth because they are temporary, it is true that baby teeth are temporary but you have to care about them equally as you do your own teeth. Poor baby teeth hygiene is one of the most common causes of tooth decay in children of 5 years. The food left in their teeth which feed the germs and help to made acid which causes dental decay.
- Sippy cups: In the age of 3-4, the parents replace milk bottle with the sippy cup. They are made of plastic, which means they can pick up germs very easily, which inturn means that they can pass on the germs that can cause tooth decay.A better alternative instead of sippy cups, the parents should replace bottle with glass or if their kids become addicts to sippy cup (which is very common) then they should care about it in same way – like they do “milk bottle” they should sterilize sippy cups every time to protect their kids from germs and tooth decay.
- Bottle: Another often overlooked cause of tooth decay in children is bottle decay. According to latest research the majority of dental decay in babies happened due to baby bottle because babies spend more time with bottle specially sleep with bottle and it take time to finish the sugary drink through bottle which means the sugary products stay with baby’s teeth too long which cause too decay.
- A diet high in sugar: Huge quantities of sugar in foods kids love to eat, ice-cream, soft drinks, even juices is the food the bacteria that creates the acid that causes decay feeds on.
- Lack of Fluoride: In queensland emergency dentist brisbane says fluoride protects teeth and fight against tooth germs. A queensland emergency dentist brisbane stated the lack of fluoride in many water supplies, makes both adult and childrens teeth weak which cause dental decay. The sources to get fluoride are; toothpaste enhanced with fluoride, fluoridated water supplied and mouthwash.